Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sam-hoffy

How do I get a copy of the free addition allready filed this year from turbo tax.?

made a mistake {I think}  on the can someone else claim you as a dependant  and  caused my parents federal to get rejected. then i filed again wirh a paid version and it got accepted. my parents still gets rejected. not sure how to get a copy of the free addition filed first.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

How do I get a copy of the free addition allready filed this year from turbo tax.?

Did you e-file first——and now is your parent’s return that claims you as a dependent being rejected when they try to e-file?

Your parents cannot e-file this year---at all,   When you filed a tax return that said no one could claim you as a dependent you put your SSN into the system and it will stay that way for many months even after you amend,   No one else can e-file a tax return with your SSN on it, so now the only way your parents can file their tax return is by mail.  The IRS processes mailed returns a different way, so the duplicate use of your SSN will not stop the IRS from processing your parents' mailed return.   The problem is that it takes the IRS a lot longer to process mailed returns, so if your parents need their refund they will wait a lot longer for it. 

If it is any comfort, you (and your parents) are among many young tax filers who make this mistake.  We will be seeing plenty of posts just like yours.   And posts from the parents whose e-files were rejected....

When your own return has been fully processed, you will have to amend it.    When you amend you will go to My Info.  Click your name and go through the screens to the question that asks if you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  You need to say YES.    Do not amend yet.  Wait for the IRS to process your return.   Your parent does not need to wait for you to amend.  They can mail her return whenever they are ready.  Waiting will not help them.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies