Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I delete started tax returns [unfinished] file in my Turbo Tax Desktop?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

There isn't a tool to delete your unfinished returns in the TurboTax Desktop program, but since they are only stored locally, you can delete them from your computer if you want, or you can move or rename them to prevent confusion. 

Unless you specify a different location for your TurboTax files, they will be stored in a file called TurboTax in your Documents folder. 

From there, you can move the files, or delete them by highlighting the file name and right click, then Cut, Rename, or Delete. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Or try this.....at least on Windows Desktop

You can delete a tax return from within the TurboTax Windows Desktop Program on the very first screen after starting the program or go to File-Open. Click on the large square icon representing the file you wish to delete (avoid clicking the blue "Continue" button). Then just hit your delete key and answer the prompt.

OR Start the program and on the first page click the blue Find A Tax File link at the bottom of the box. Then in the list that pops up you can right click on the file and choose delete.

Or you can delete it from Windows. You can delete the wrong return like any other file on your computer. The tax files end in .tax2023 and should be in your Documents folder and then in a Turbo Tax subfolder. Or search your computer for all .tax or .tax2023 files.

You should also have the Tilde ~ files. Those are temporary files that you normally don't see and normally are deleted. But now Turbo Tax is leaving them in the folder in case something happens like if your file gets corrupted or lost or your computer crashes. Then you can go back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies