Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I correct my mistake on my 2023 federal tax return?

Hello,

If I made a mistake on my 2023 federal tax return, which I ended up overpaid the IRS of $145.00.  I already filed 2023 federal tax return, and paid IRS the $145.00.  How do I correct my mistake and get the $145.00 back from IRS?  Can I make the correction with my 2023 Turbo tax deluxe software and request the refund of $145.00?  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much for your kindness and help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What do you need to change?  Did you use the Online browser version or the Desktop installed program?  Sounds like you used the Desktop program?

To amend the Desktop program.  Start by opening your return as usual. Go up to File-Open.

If you don't see a button for Need to Amend a Filed Return? on your home screen then you can get to it here. Go to:
Federal Taxes -or- Personal (for H&B)
Other Tax Situations
last section, Other Tax Forms
Amend A Return - Click the Start or Update button

How did you file the original return? Did you efile or mail it?  You first might have to tell the program it was filed.  If you efiled  you have to check the filing status inside the program. Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return with the status. Go to File-Save.  Oh and be sure to save your original return with another name so the amended return doesn't overwrite it and you can start over if it gets messed up.

View solution in original post

How did that change your return?  ROTH IRA contributions are not deductible in the first place so changing it to zero shouldn’t affect your return.  Unless you had a penalty for excess contribution?  Or maybe got the Savers Credit?

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What do you need to change?  Did you use the Online browser version or the Desktop installed program?  Sounds like you used the Desktop program?

To amend the Desktop program.  Start by opening your return as usual. Go up to File-Open.

If you don't see a button for Need to Amend a Filed Return? on your home screen then you can get to it here. Go to:
Federal Taxes -or- Personal (for H&B)
Other Tax Situations
last section, Other Tax Forms
Amend A Return - Click the Start or Update button

How did you file the original return? Did you efile or mail it?  You first might have to tell the program it was filed.  If you efiled  you have to check the filing status inside the program. Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return with the status. Go to File-Save.  Oh and be sure to save your original return with another name so the amended return doesn't overwrite it and you can start over if it gets messed up.

I looked at the link, and I was able to file an amended federal tax return.  Much appreciated.  Thank you very much for the quick reply!

I need to change the Roth IRA contributions to $0.00.  Yes, I used Desktop installed program.  Yes, I used Desktop program.  I did efile.  Much appreciated.  Thank you very much for you helps! 

How did that change your return?  ROTH IRA contributions are not deductible in the first place so changing it to zero shouldn’t affect your return.  Unless you had a penalty for excess contribution?  Or maybe got the Savers Credit?

I updated the amount of Roth IRA contributions to $0.00 with the amended federal tax return.  It supposed to be Roth IRA Rollover, but I entered the Roth IRA Rollover amount to the Roth IRA contributions instead.  I don’t have income, thus, it ended up with $145.00 penalty.  Thank you very much for the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies