turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I correct my 2020 dependency status for the economic impact tax credit/stimulus payments with the "amend return" function? Is this even possible?

I recently realized that in 2020 I neither received the covid stimulus payment or the end of year tax break/economic impact payment. I was completely independent in 2020 so I am completely eligible - however, I CANNOT find how to edit this in the 2020 amend feature. Is this possible? What am I missing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I correct my 2020 dependency status for the economic impact tax credit/stimulus payments with the "amend return" function? Is this even possible?

Go through the beginning interview about yourself ( and spouse ) again to change this setting.

The only way to change your dependency status on Form 1040-X is to state the new status in Part III Explanation.

i.e. " I am changing to 'no one can claim me' " or 'someone can claim me'.

Then proceed to revise your tax return accordingly.

Continue in Part III with the explanation of your changes.

@samwise252 

@samwise252 

[ Above reply updated. ]

@fanfare  How do I redo the beginning interview? I’m only seeing edits to the existing forms I added

I  can't give you step-by-step for that.

Maybe @VolvoGirl  knows.

@samwise252 

Are you using the Desktop program to amend?  I think you have to.  In the Desktop program click on the Personal Info tab.  First tab on top left.  Then scroll down to #3 and  check the NO box that someone can claim you.  See screen shot.

Did you not get the Recovery Rebate Credit (3rd Stimulus) because you said you were a dependent?  And nobody claimed you as a dependent?  

O Dependent can be claimed.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies