Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

seedp
Returning Member

How do I confirm my dependents are correct vs. what IRS says? I filed taxes using TurboTax. IRS responded with, 'We changed...amount claimed...nonrefundable CTC."

..."nonrefundable Child Tax Credit or credit for other dependents on your tax return because you either didn't enter an amount [note: this isn't true] or entered an incorrect amount based on the number of boxes you checked on page 1 of your return".  
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I confirm my dependents are correct vs. what IRS says? I filed taxes using TurboTax. IRS responded with, 'We changed...amount claimed...nonrefundable CTC."

It's possible your depedents are listed correctly but you took an amount (credit) you are not entitled to.

If you think your tax return is correct, you have to dispute the IRS changes in writing.

@seedp 

seedp
Returning Member

Thank you for the response.  I will contact the IRS.  They actually just make a statement, yet don't say what they would have put in the boxes based on their interpretation.

What's confusing is the math looks right (children under / over 18; takes into account income).  I guess there is an assumption on my part the TurboTax sw calculates it correctly.

Take care.  I appreciate your time.

Is this for your 2023 return?  The age for the Child Tax Credit is UNDER 17 on Dec 31, 2023.  Check the birthdates.  Is the right box checked on the 1040 first page for Dependents?  Box 4 for Child tax credit?  Turbo Tax automatically gives you the right CTC based on your entries.  Maybe the IRS changed your income or tax?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies