tyelynn30

How do I change my refund from being sent to direct deposit due to my account closing, to being mailed to my home address?

BMcCalpin

If your bank account is closed when the IRS tries to make the direct deposit, then the bank will return the deposit and the IRS will mail you a check to the address at the top of page 1 of your return.

BMcCalpin

rutemuj

Do you know how long it will take? because im in the same boat
tyelynn30

Thank you very much for the information
BMcCalpin

@rutemuj - you might find this paragraph from the IRS of interest:
"What is happening when Where’s My Refund? shows my refund’s status as approved?
We’ve approved your refund. We are preparing to send your refund to your bank or directly to you in the mail. This status will tell you when we will send the refund to your bank (if you selected the direct deposit option). Please wait 5 days after we’ve sent the refund to check with your bank about your refund, since banks vary in how and when they credit funds. (It could take several weeks before you receive a mailed refund check.)" - see <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions">https://www.irs.gov/refund...>

Note that you want to check for when your direct deposit is sent, because the IRS reports on that event. After that, you need to wait a week for the bank and the IRS to figure out that the direct deposit is not going to work (note: this is not that unusual, so don't worry about getting lost in the cracks). After that, probably two to three more weeks to get the check in the mail - but no guarantees.
redbeard556

My refund is being sent to an account and I’d like to get it mailed to me instead by check how do I change that?

paulp1

This is not so.  They are attempting a second direct deposit on a closed account of mine.  Now i have to wait 5 days until they submit the direct deposit and the bank returns it.