turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kerilee09

How do I amend my 2018 tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are you saying that you already actually submitted your 2018 tax return by clicking on the big orange Transmit Return Now button within the program? Yesterday afternoon was the first day TurboTax began accepting returns.

If you have actually already filed your 2018 tax return, you have a long wait. Your return was sent to the TurboTax servers where it will sit for weeks until the IRS begins accepting tax returns. That has historically been the end of January but they have not announced a date yet for 2018 returns. The IRS must then either accept or reject your tax return as filed. If it is rejected, you can fix the reason for rejection and resubmit it.

If it is accepted, you must then wait until the IRS processes it and you receive a refund if you are getting one and then prepare, print and mail an amended return form 1040X. The 1040X will probably not be available until the end of February or later. 

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Do you mean your 2017 tax return? You can't even file 2018 yet, so there would be nothing to amend at this time.
kerilee09

Yes
kerilee09

I completed it last night but I forgot to add my $700 in car taxes I paid 2018
kerilee09

Actually yesterday was the first day and I did file and I do need to fix something

Once you transmit your return to TurboTax for filing, it's like putting it in the box at the post office. You can't get it back. See my answer for what the process is from now on to fix the problem.

Always put your printed final tax return in the drawer for two days before filing. When you come back inevitably you will find something wrong or omitted.
kerilee09

Thanks for stating the obvious lol
kerilee09

My question has already been answered

I assume you are aware that sales tax paid on a car is an itemized deduction. You may get a tax benefit if you take the sales tax deduction instead of the state income tax deduction and if your total tax deductions are less than $10,000 before adding the car sales tax and if the total of all your itemized deductions is more than the standard deduction. With the big increases in standard deduction for 2018, it is estimated that a high percentage of taxpayers who itemized in past years will not get a benefit from itemizing on their 2018 tax return.
Carl
Level 15

Basically, for someone filing single or MFS, until itemized deductions exceed $12K, they don't matter. For a married couple filing joint, until they exceed $24K they don't matter. With one exception, in all the years I"ve been filing joint I've never had itemized deductions exceed our standard. I'm not even bothering "checking it" this year, because I know we won't even come anywhere close. So there's no sense in me wasting my time entering it all.
kerilee09

Thank you Carl - so I should just leave as is? I claim zero all year but was told I should’ve put 1 when I file and of course the $700 I paid in car taxes ... do you think either matter? This year I made the most money and I’m getting the least amount back lol

Did you itemize deductions on your tax return that you filed? If you did there would be a Schedule A included with your tax return. If you did not, you probably don't have enough total itemized deductions for the $700 to make a difference. If you are getting a small refund, that means you did a good job of estimating how much to have withheld from your pay and you didn't let the IRS have a tax free loan of your money all year.
Carl
Level 15

"I claim zero all year but was told I should’ve put 1"
If you're referring to the W-4 here, you're mixing oranges with peanut butter. What you claim on your W-4 that you provide to your employer, has nothing to do with itemizing deductions. Regardless of what you claim on your W-4, if your itemized deductions do not exceed your standard deduction, then itemizing is not best for you tax-wise. Taking the standard deduction would be best for you.
What you claim on the W-4 is used by your employer, and only your employer, to determine how much tax to withhold from each of your paychecks. It has nothing to do with your "itemized" deductions.

completed preliminary 2018 return information and need to add wages earned
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies