Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can we restart Turbotax desktop or remove data files not necessary.

I started to amend a taxdata created  in 2019. Then I loaded an incomplete data file by mistake.

Since there is  no way to roll bak. I want to t orestart Turbotax in a clean state.

When I exit  from Turbotax and restart it , data file that existed aredisplayed. I do not want  any data files.

Once data file is loaded, it is saved periodically  without Save command. Therefore,  we cannot go back to a correct state which was saved.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried to cancel the amended return you started?  If not, please see the below TurboTax Help Article for assistance.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Assume that I want amend tax-file-2.tax2020, but I have loaded tax-file-1.tax2020. When I noticed the  mistake, this file is modified even if Save command was not issued. Further, if Toubotax is restarted,  tax-file-1.tax2020 is listed as an active file.  I Iearned from an article on Web that a file can be eliminated from the Turbotax screen. In order to see the list of active files, Turbotax must be restarted. Then select the box containing tax-file-1.tax2020 and press the DEL key. Then the box containing  tax.file.tax 2020 disappers from the screen although the file is not deleted.

Delete all the active files in this way, and load  tax-file-2.tax2020.  If you have worked on  tax-file-2.tax2020, it may have been partially updated. Therefore, when you start to work on a .tax<year> file, make a backup copy by using File Explorer. Note that a file being worked on is saved even if you do not issue Save command. 

I  like what is done by File Explorer such as how an application program is started and how the application program saves modified data. We can start amending by  right-clicking  a  .tax<year> file and select Amendcommand. Once the Amend application wants to save the data being worked on, we can issue Save command.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Were you able to get things right after you did those steps? @toshi-minoura 

I actualy used  Turbotax  2019 bought from amazon.com.  I  could still download  its installation program from amazon.com and installed it.   When Turbotax was activated, it was automatically updated. Then I loaded an incomplete .tax2019 file, and I did what is described in my original post. When I started Amend operation, it did not produce correct 1040-x file. Therefore, I downloaded an empty 1040-X from an IRS site and manually filled the form Even when I installed the Turbotax, the active files were not removed.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the instructions below on how to Amend a prior year tax return:

How do I amend my federal tax return for a prior year?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies