Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhevin58

How can I make changes to my tax return

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

Changes prior to filing?    Or did you already file previously, and do you need to prepare an amended return Form 1040X?

rhevin58

I have already filed. I need to update the dependent on our US tax return

@rhevin58 wrote:
I have already filed. I need to update the dependent on our US tax return

Update a dependent in what way?

Did you efile the return, and if so, was it accepted?   Or was your efiled return rejected?

If your return was accepted, and if you were due a Federal refund with your original filing, have you received it yet?

rhevin58

ITIN application was rejected. Name wasn’t listed as a primary, secondary, or dependent on the US tax return. Need to send the corrected tax return.

@rhevin58 wrote:
ITIN application was rejected. Name wasn’t listed as a primary, secondary, or dependent on the US tax return. Need to send the corrected tax return.

But what about your original tax return?   If you efiled, was your efiled tax return accepted or rejected?  You can check with this tool:
https://shop.turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp

Or did you file the return by printing and mailing?

We can tell you how to amend the return once your situation is clear.

I'm not familiar with anything to do with an ITIN, however, so I'm trying to find someone familiar with this topic to assist you.

rhevin58

We filed through mailing. I need to check if the name is included as either primary, secondary, or dependent.

@rhevin58 wrote:
We filed through mailing. I need to check if the name is included as either primary, secondary, or dependent.

You said "need to check",  so are you just asking how to download/print a copy of your 2018 return you prepared in Online TurboTax?    Primary and secondary refer to spouses 1 and 2.

To download/print your return, log in and at the Tax Home go to the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents".  Choose tax year 2018, then the link "download/print the PDF."

If you need to amend the online 2018 return, here's how:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

rhevin58

I meant to say I need to double check if the name is included as either primary, secondary, or dependent. If I’m only amending the name part would it affect anything else in the return? Thank you

I mentioned above how to get a copy of the return, and I provided a source above on how to amend, if necessary.

You wrote:  "If I’m only amending the name part would it affect anything else in the return?"

I don't know what all you are ending up correcting and how it will impact the rest of your return, if any.   If it's just to change something like the name, it shouldn't change anything else.  However, something like DOB can have an effect.

Sorry, but I can't help you with anything in regard to fixing the ITIN application.   I've put in a request for someone to assist you in this thread tomorrow.    In the meantime, you can look at your return and see what exactly needs to be changed, and hopefully someone will continue the discussion here tomorrow.

I see no one has added on here.  If you still need additional help, here's how to phone TurboTax Support during business hours:

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@rhevin58 , having gone through the above exchange, what I understand is this --- (a)  you ( a citizen/resident/ resident for tax purposes ) have filed a return with other individual(s) included on your return; (b)  the individual(s) in question are not qualified to receive SSN and therefore you applied for ITIN  ( form W-7 along with all the documentation required ); (c) IRS has rejected  the ITIN application 

Did IRS provide a reason for rejection?  ITINs are generally issued for person(s) in-eligible for SSN but must file  and/or be on a return --- it is issued only for tax filing.

Can you explain a little  bit more as to what you are trying to do i.e. why you need the ITIN, how did you apply for it; who is/are the beneficiaries etc. etc.

Sony massey
Returning Member

I already filed. Received return
I messed up need to make changed

@Sony massey wrote:
I already filed. Received return
I messed up need to make changed

You said you have already filed and received your refund.  The FAQ below tells how to prepare an amended return Form 1040X and associated changed forms.   An amended return cannot be efiled.  It has to be printed and mailed.  It takes the IRS about 16 weeks to process an amended return.  

If you amend the Federal return, you may have to amend a state return as well, if applicable.   The Federal amended return goes to the IRS.  A state amended return goes to the state tax agency.  When mailing, it's recommended to use a method that has tracking such as certified return receipt, priority mail, etc.  

FAQ:  How do I amend a 2018 return in TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/00/27579

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies