Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get TurboTax to print the efiling instructions before efiling?

I prepare returns for three family members using my desktop TurboTax (Basic).  I need to be able to print out their returns for them to review, and that includes the correct filing instructions.  TurboTax doesn't seem to have an option to elect e-filing until you are actually in the efiling process, so the filing isntructions that print out before efiling are for mailing a return on paper.  This isn't right - what am I missing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Using the TurboTax desktop editions, in the File section of the program you can select how to print or save the return as a PDF before filing.  When you select to Print or Save as a PDF, the window that opens you can select which forms, schedules or worksheets are included.  The Filing Instructions page is included and shown for saving or printing.

You'll be asked to pay before you can print your return.

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and open your return by selecting Continue or Pick up where you left off.
  2. Select Tax Tools from the left menu, then Print Center (on mobile devices, tap in the upper left corner to expand the menu).
  3. Select Print, save, or preview this year's return, and follow any additional instructions.
  4. Once your PDF opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader, select the printer icon near the top.
  5. Make any adjustments in the Print window and then select Print at the bottom.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@JanAug  Go far enough into the filing process to select e-file for the federal and state returns. When you get to the next screen after selecting e-file for the state, click Print Center and print the return. It will have the electronic filing instructions.

The OP indicated that they are using the desktop TurboTax (Basic)

Although they are posting from online.

Many times the poster will select the wrong indicator for the edition they are using.  So using the actual post can be more accurate then the indicator.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies