Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I edit a 8938 form I already filled up? Every time I go to this section, it would reset everything and I need to fill all accounts from scratch.

I have about 7-8 accounts, and I want to fill them up incrementally. But the only way I can go back to a pre-filled 8938 is by searching for "8938", and then clicking "navigate to link", which resets everything and starts the process from scratch, so I need to fill the accounts all over again. Clearly this feels wrong, how can I get back to the 8938 section I started filling?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

How can I edit a 8938 form I already filled up? Every time I go to this section, it would reset everything and I need to fill all accounts from scratch.

Per Expert @LinaJ2020:

"Unlike the TurboTax desktop edition, you cannot edit information on the actual forms in the TurboTax online.  To edit information on the Form 8938, you would need to return to the foreign assets Form 8938 section in the program.  In TurboTax online, here are the steps:

• Sign in to your TurboTax account and select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "foreign assets" and Enter
  • Select Jump to foreign assets
  • Follow prompts
  • On-screen, Amounts Related to Foreign Financial Assets, edit information
  • See the image below"

Click this link for more info on Form 8938 Entries.  You may need to go back to the original category entry to make corrections.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi, I just tried that and it still doesn't answer the question-

To repro what I'm talking about:
1. Type "foreign assets", jump to the link, and start filling up the form

2. Fill one foreign account you have, finish, hit next and choose that you don't have more accounts to report.
3. Now assuming I want to add another account I missed before, I do step #1 again.

4. When I jump to the 8938 section, it resets all the progress I made in #2, and it starts all the questions from scratch, and I need to fill the first account again.

Can this be solved in the online edition? If not, at least I'd like a way to see what I filled already. This is very troubling, especially when so many people have foreign accounts. 

I never worked with the Desktop version, and I don't know the consequences of moving to a new software with all the progress I've made so far via the online interface. Does this edition cost more money to download?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Since you're using TurboTax Online, data can sometimes 'hang' in the program.  Try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies, and then try to Edit your Foreign Asset entries again. 

You're correct that you can't see your forms in TurboTax Online, until you pay for your return and download a PDF copy to review.

However, you can save your online .tax file to your computer, download the TurboTax Desktop version and continue where you left off. 

You will pay for the download, but then no extra fees. You can prepare/efile up to five returns.

Click this link for more info on Switching from TurboTax Online to Desktop.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just tried to use different browsers in different computers and unfortunately this feature is completely broken.
After filling in my foreign bank account, I signed-out, it said "saving your data" (which makes you think it'll overcome this bug). Then I logged from a different computer and tried to generate my 1040 to see if it will include the 8938, and it didn't !

No need to mention that when I tried to go to that section again, it was empty again.

This is currently blocking me from filing my taxes and I need technical support ASAP.

I was just for 1 hour with a representative with a live-chat. They acknowledged the problem and are saying that it is an opened investigation and it's a known issue.
This is very frustrating since there is no ETA and now I don't know if it's going to be solved in time for this year's return date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies