Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I check to see if I've already filed a form on a previous tax return?

When I was doing my 2023 return, they asked me a question that was along the lines of "Did you take a Disaster Distribution between 2018-2022" I did take out 8,000 in 2020 (800 dollars was taken out in Federal income tax so I only received 7200) so I said yes but it said that I couldn't file it at that moment. I do have at least my 1099-R form from that year, and I could be misremembering but  I remember  filing that form back when I got it, so I'm curious as to how I can check and see if this is a form that I've already filed and if I need to worry about filing it for this year or not. I have not received any sort of 1099-R form for this year, so I'm a bit confused as to why I'm being asked about this so many years later, but I want to make sure I get all the right information before I mess this up and have to fix my taxes. Thank you.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How can I check to see if I've already filed a form on a previous tax return?

You don't need to do anything with that 2020 form on this tax return.   TurboTax asked because back in 2020, you had the option to spread the tax and repay the distributions, so we are making sure that those rules don't apply to you.   You can verify you reported the 1099-R by looking at your 2020 tax return.    If you are using TurboTax Online, you can sign in and, from the Tax Home page, scroll to the bottom to print your previous years' tax returns.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies