turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I'm amending my 2019 tax return and would like to have my return mailed and for my direct deposit and bank information to be deleted off of turbo tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hi, I'm amending my 2019 tax return and would like to have my return mailed and for my direct deposit and bank information to be deleted off of turbo tax.

First of all, you will not prepare or file a 2019 return until 2020, so you must be referring to your 2018 tax return.

An amended return has to be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS, and if you are getting a refund, the IRS will only mail a check to you.  You cannot get a direct deposit for the refund from an amended return.

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 3-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And just how are you preparing an amended return?  You cannot amend in online software now.  Online tax preparation and e-filing are permanently closed for 2018 returns.  The system is in transition from 2018 to 2019 software and will not be usable until sometime in December.  If you have gone in to your online-prepared 2018 return somehow and are making changes to it, you are messing up your return and need to change it back to exactly the way it looked when you filed it. 

When you prepare a Form 1040X to amend you have to work from the original return EXACTLY as it was when you filed it.

You will not be able to use the software to amend that return until later in December, so you need to wait.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

thank you so much

You are welcome.   You have three years to amend a return, so just wait for the software to operational later in the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies