turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

celtys

Hi, I just received a letter from New York State of Taxation/Finance stating that I owe them money from the IRS adjusting my 2013 return--line 65/Earned Income Credit.EIC

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeoffreyG

Hi, I just received a letter from New York State of Taxation/Finance stating that I owe them money from the IRS adjusting my 2013 return--line 65/Earned Income Credit.EIC

Hello celtys:

We're sorry to hear that you received a tax notice from New York state.  Did you already receive a similar notice, regarding the same Earned Income credit issue and the same tax year, from the IRS?  If you did, then the New York Department of Taxation & Finance is simply following up on the same item that the IRS is questioning.

In any case, you should probably discuss the specifics of your letter with one of our tax experts.  Based on that conversation, we can help you decide what to do next.  To begin the contact process, please go through the following webform, which will help route your call to the appropriate department:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

After your conversation and reviewing the basics of your letter with you, you will then need to determine whether or not you agree with New York's determination.

•    If you agree with their proposed change, follow the instructions specified in their letter.
•    If you do not agree with the proposed change, contact New York to learn why they made the change, if it was not explained to your satisfaction in the letter.   If a mistake was made somehow, it can often be resolved with them over the phone.

If you believe the situation was caused by a calculation error within the TurboTax software, and you have been assessed penalties and interest which you have had to pay because of this, you may submit your claim for review using the Accuracy Guarantee Submission Claim Form here:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901258-accuracy-guarantee-submission-claim-form

Note:  If a calculation error is present, Intuit will only reimburse the amount of penalties and/or interest paid by you from the first notice received.

Finally, if you eventually determine that you need Audit Defense, then you can contact our corporate partner at TaxAudit.com for assistance.  Here is a link to their webpage:

https://www.taxaudit.com/

However, your first step should be to try and better understand your letter and your options.  To do that, please contact us via the link above.

Good luck.

Regards

celtys

Okay, I called the IRS and they are sending me the records/account transcript so I can see what the "discrepancy" is. Hopefully, it's an error because I've not had this happen before. I'll see what it says (7-10 days) and go from there. Thank You!
Talk to you soon!
GeoffreyG

Thanks for the update, celtys.  It sounds like you've taken the responsible first step (i.e., better understanding your issue).  Please keep us posted; talk to us by telephone if necessary; and, if your New York letter includes a reply / response date, make sure that you contact the state before that date, even if you continue to dispute their claim, in order to preserve your rights as a taxpayer.  In other words, take extra care not to miss any statutory deadlines.  Regards.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies