Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I had submitted my tax return on April 9th and it still says pending after 48 hours? Will I get in trouble with the IRS if it says pending if it's past the deadline?

I couldn't get my W-2 from my crappy employer for a long time after he shut down his business. I just got my form 4 days ago and I have submitted my return but it's been over 3 days since, and it still says pending. I am terrified that it won't go through and that I could get into a huge legal battle because of it. I've tried contacting the IRS but since I get a robot and not a person, they won't help me figure out what to do from here. Does anyone else have this issue? Or does anyone know how I can resolve this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Hi, I had submitted my tax return on April 9th and it still says pending after 48 hours? Will I get in trouble with the IRS if it says pending if it's past the deadline?

The April 15, 2024 date is only if you have taxes owed.  If you do not have taxes owed or you are receiving a tax refund there are no penalties for filing after the due date.

But if you do have taxes owed, your tax return was filed on time and the IRS knows when it was filed so even if it is still pending on April 16, 2024 this will not be an issue.

Also, since this is the time of season when the IRS gets flooded with e-filed returns it may take over 48 hours before the return is Accepted by the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies