Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi. I e-filed with Turbo Tax Online. I'm supposed to receive my refund today in my account. My question is when my bank rejects the deposit. What happens?

Hi. I e-filed with Turbo Tax Online and set up the direct deposit to receive my refund. But then my bank account was closed. I'm supposed to receive my refund today. My question is when my bank rejects the deposit. What happens?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Hi. I e-filed with Turbo Tax Online. I'm supposed to receive my refund today in my account. My question is when my bank rejects the deposit. What happens?

The IRS will cut a paper check and mail it to the address on your return. It will be 4 weeks or longer before you get that paper check.

It will be 4 weeks from what date?
Carl
Level 15

It will be "at least" 4 weeks from the date the rejected deposit is returned to the IRS. It could be longer, as this time of year the IRS pays more attention to correctly filed returns in an effort to get them in, processed, and out.

Ah! I see. Thank you. This was helpful.
Carl
Level 15

Also, I view the wording on the webpage (both IRS and TurboTax) as misleading. The deposit date is not necessarily the date the bank will credit the deposit to your account. IT's actually the date the IRS estimates that they will "send" it to your bank. Then on top of that, it's just an estimate, and not a hard fast guarantee in any way. So just because the IRS transmits the DDD on a specific date, in no way means your bank will receive it on that date, or even credit it to your account on the date they receive it.
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If your bank rejects your refund, the IRS will mail you a refund check. Please see the below FAQ for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302459

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies