Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

esthercsx

Hi, I am having problem when entering bank account. Foreign banks do not have routing number as they use swift codes. Can you help to resolve?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I am having problem when entering bank account. Foreign banks do not have routing number as they use swift codes. Can you help to resolve?

You must have U.S. ACH information (i.e., routing number, account number, and checking/savings flag) to use a foreign bank account; the IRS does not accept SWIFT codes. Contact your bank to see if they can provide you with U.S. ACH information for your account. (If you're also filing a U.S. state return, note that many states will not send refunds to foreign bank accounts even with U.S. ACH information.) Otherwise, if you don't have a U.S. bank account or prepaid card your only option will be a paper check.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You must have U.S. ACH information (i.e., routing number, account number, and checking/savings flag) to use a foreign bank account; the IRS does not accept SWIFT codes. Contact your bank to see if they can provide you with U.S. ACH information for your account. (If you're also filing a U.S. state return, note that many states will not send refunds to foreign bank accounts even with U.S. ACH information.) Otherwise, if you don't have a U.S. bank account or prepaid card your only option will be a paper check.
esthercsx

Do they mail paper check to country outside of the U.S.? And what bank I need to have in order to claim the check? (If we don't have the bank here we cannot claim for the paper check?)

The Federal government mails paper checks to most foreign countries. Ask your bank in your country how they handle U.S. Treasury checks (in U.S. dollars, of course); no one here would have that information.
esthercsx

I see. Thanks a lot for the information!

same problem here did you guys solve the problem?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies