ecbridges22

Hey there, I finished filing a few days ago but just got a 1098-T form from my school today, will this form get me a bigger refund or should I ignore it?

Melaine

It depends, the 1098-T is a document that gives information on the amount of money you paid to a college or university to cover educational expenses.  It is not mandatory that it be entered on your tax return.  However, if you made an error when claiming a tuition credit or did not report scholarship income, you should file the amendment.  It is hard to say if you will get a bigger refund or not, not knowing the content of the 1098-T.  However, it is best to wait until you get your refund from the original return before doing the amendment.  Do not change the original return until you receive your refund and then you can complete the amendment.