Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello! My employer provided incorrect SSN in the original W2 form that's why IRS doesn't see my taxes paid for 2022. How can I provide corrected W2C form to the IRS?

Should I start amended tax return? how can I do it thru TurboTax?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Hello! My employer provided incorrect SSN in the original W2 form that's why IRS doesn't see my taxes paid for 2022. How can I provide corrected W2C form to the IRS?

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If your filed1040 has all correct amounts, you don't have to attach any forms.

Get Form 1040-X from IRS website and mail it in with your W-2C fed copy attached.
Note: when you are not changing any dollar amounts on your amended tax return, you can leave all the lines 1-23 EMPTY.

Part III explanation: "enclosing corrected W-2 with correct SSN".

Mail to the address specified in the latest Instructions for Form 1040-X.

@marina-matveeva- 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your question.

• Did your employer submit your tax payments to something other than YOUR Social Security Number?
  • Did you prepare your taxes using the incorrect Social Security Number?
  • Did you file your taxes with your correct Social Security Number, but didn't get credit for the taxes you had withheld?

Please contact us again with any questions, and provide some additional details.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you all.

• My employer always submits tax payments for the whole company (not individually), and specified wrong SSN number on my W2.
  • I prepared my taxes using correct Social Security Number.
  • Correct. IRS asks me to pay the exact amount of federal tax for 2022 (3k) with penalties and interest while I overpaid the taxes 3 times in 2022 (almost 8k). They just don't see that I paid because of incorrect SSN.

Thanks

You need to get the employer to correct it.  Maybe he has your ssn wrong?  Better double check your ssn with Social Security.  Maybe you are using the the number.   Is the employer EIN right in box b?   You can try sending the IRS a copy of your W2 and a note with your right ssn.  Does it have your name on it?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies