Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello. I submitted my amended return 05/15/21. It's been "accepted". Does it really take 16 weeks to receive my refund?? (amended due to unemployment rule 2020). Thanks!

Has anyone who amended 2020 taxes, due to the unemployment first $10,200 being untaxed, receive their amended refund? If so, how long did it take before you received your refund?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Hello. I submitted my amended return 05/15/21. It's been "accepted". Does it really take 16 weeks to receive my refund?? (amended due to unemployment rule 2020). Thanks!

It normally takes 16 weeks for an amended return to be processed, but this year is worse than normal. The IRS is severely backlogged, so it will probably take 6 months or more.

But you weren't supposed to file an amended return for the unemployment exclusion. The IRS is recalculating tax returns with unemployment and sending the additional refund without any action by the taxpayer. They have said that you should not file an amended return unless the reduced AGI because of the exclusion makes you newly eligible for a credit that you did not claim on your original tax return.

I don't know what will happen now that you have filed the amended return. There's a chance that you will get a refund for the unemployment exclusion before they even look at your amended return. You'll just have to wait and see what happens. It will probably be a long wait.

if you have a state income tax check this link for what it says to do. some require the filing of amended returns others do not.

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/state-tax/602307/taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-a-state-by-state-gui... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies