Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I need to file an amended tax return for 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 because I recently realized that I failed to enter certain "Expenses" on Schedule E. How do I transfer that information onto 1040X? Thanks.

I have not received my refund for 2016 and realize that for that year I will need to wait for my refund before filing the 1040X.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Hello, I need to file an amended tax return for 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 because I recently realized that I failed to enter certain "Expenses" on Schedule E. How do I transfer that information onto 1040X? Thanks.

The procedure for filing the 1040X begins with duplicating your return, so that you have a backup copy. Then you go to the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Amend a Return (it's close to the bottom) and click Start. This opens the 1040X.

At this point, you enter the rental expenses as you would have done originally. To do this,

1. Go to the Federal Taxes tab and select Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to Rental Properties and Royalties, and click Update.
  3. Proceed through the interview until you get to your rental expenses.

Note that if you enter mortgage interest and real estate taxes here, you do not need to re-enter those expenses when you get to Deductions & Credits.

Note that you will only be able to access the TurboTax 2013 software until April 18, because the IRS will not allow refunds for 2013 after that date.

This is how to amend a return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

The procedure for filing the 1040X begins with duplicating your return, so that you have a backup copy. Then you go to the Other Tax Situations screen, scroll down to Amend a Return (it's close to the bottom) and click Start. This opens the 1040X.

At this point, you enter the rental expenses as you would have done originally. To do this,

1. Go to the Federal Taxes tab and select Wages & Income.
  2. Scroll down to Rental Properties and Royalties, and click Update.
  3. Proceed through the interview until you get to your rental expenses.

Note that if you enter mortgage interest and real estate taxes here, you do not need to re-enter those expenses when you get to Deductions & Credits.

Note that you will only be able to access the TurboTax 2013 software until April 18, because the IRS will not allow refunds for 2013 after that date.

This is how to amend a return.

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me with this advice.  I really appreciate it.  Have a nice Day!

as noted, you will have to file the 2013 amended return this week if you want a refund.
If you miss that deadline you will have one  year to work on 2014.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies