turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello. I had to amend my return because of a late 1095-A received. Our refund was around $3800 before. Now it shows $0. Can you explain? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello. I had to amend my return because of a late 1095-A received. Our refund was around $3800 before. Now it shows $0. Can you explain? Thanks.

@cianerourke  It may be that you under-estimated your annual income on the Healthcare.gov website when applying for insurance. This would cause you to receive an advance premium credit that was too high. Now you are required to repay some or all of it by forfeiting your tax refund. Check Form 8962 to see how your premium credit is being handled.

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

When you amend your return, TurboTax starts from the idea that you have already received the refund that was shown on your original return. So your refund is reset to zero. Anything you add to amend the return will either increase your refund or decrease it. If your refund should have been less with your original return, the amended return will show a balance due. It's very possible that your 1095-A didn't change your refund one way or another, so your amended return would show zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

And you should wait to amend until the original return is fully processed and you got the first refund.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies