Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my 1099 SA and the amount is $5 higher do i need an amended return?

if i need to amend do i wait until i get refund?

this difference won't change what i owe or my refund

it's not an overage

JulieH1

The IRS matches 1099's against what a taxpayer files, so it is probable that they will notice the difference.  If they do, they will send you a letter in 3-4 weeks to tell you about the mistake.  If they do, you just write a quick letter letting them know about the small $5 mistake.  That will take care of it.  

If you want to amend, you can but do not do it before you get your refund. To try to amend now would confuse the IRS and they may hold your refund unnecessarily.

My best advice is to get the refund and wait.  If they send you a letter, you explain and if they do not send you a letter then they are obviously not too concerned about the small error.

JulieH1