turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nnew

Got a CP162 tax notice issuing penalty for late filing of partnership in 2019,when in fact I had filed before the deadline of 3/15/2019. Not sure why I still got a notice

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Got a CP162 tax notice issuing penalty for late filing of partnership in 2019,when in fact I had filed before the deadline of 3/15/2019. Not sure why I still got a notice

Did you mail or e-file the 1065? Also confirm what tax year it's for. Maybe you were late filing a 2017 or earlier return for the partnership? Also, if the partnership dissolved in a tax year, I think you have something like 90 days after dissolution to file, or March 15th, whichever is first.
nnew

Thank you. It was e filed and was accepted, on April 9, 2019 for Tax year 2018. Partnership was not dissolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if e filed, was it accepted? if yes, there should be postmark report.  write back to IRS that it was filed timely and enclosed  a copy of postmark report.

if mailed, did you keep receipt.   do same as above as  far as responding to IRS except enclose copy of postage receipt.

if you don't have receipt and if you have always timely filed in the past,  write back and request abatement.  your letter should include 

statement that prior returns have always been timely filed  

and that you have taken steps to insure timely filing in future  

and that you are requesting abatement of late filing payment

nnew

Thank you. It was e filed and was accepted, on April 9, 2019 for Tax year 2018. I got the confirmation that it was accepted via Turbotax email message. Where do I download the postmark report from?
Thanks.
Carl
Level 15

"It was e filed and was accepted, on April 9, 2019 for Tax year 2018"
Then it was filed late. Period. You can try for abatement, but don't be surprised if it's not approved.
nnew

OK. Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable

accepted on 4/9 yet you say filed 3/15. it doesn't take the IRS 3 weeks to accept the return.   you can either pay the penalties or if this is your first time filing late you can request they be abated by writing to the IRS.  your letter should include the something to the effect this is your first time filing late and you have taken steps  (name them) to assure there is no repeat.  

Hello! I know this thread is a year old, but it came up in a Google search, so hoping someone can help!  I have a partnership that was terminated in June 2019.  I filed an extension for the Form 1065 return 3/5/20.  I filed the final return 6/9/20.  I received an IRS notice  CP162 stating the return was filed late.  Is the extension not valid because the partnership was terminated?  Should the return have been filed 90 days from June 2019?  Thank you fellow Turbo Tax community!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies