turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Getting FPYMT-089 Rejection on amended return

Never mind @OregonGuy  . I just saw your reply upthread where you mentioned having taken the "pay by check" approach. I took the same approach for want of a better option.

I had opted for electronic payment of the taxes due in the original 2020 return.

But on filing the amended return using the "pay by check" option for $0 dues, I got this following in the "returns accepted" email from turbotax.
This is very confusing, as my tax dues are supposed to be debited electronically from my bank per the original return e-filing I did.

Next step

All that's left to do now is mail your payment to the IRS along with your payment voucher (Form 1040-V).

hsinlunglo
Returning Member

Exactly the same error, with 0 balance after amend. I also change to pay by check then re-submit and it resolve the issue for me. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Same issue with me.  Original return I opted for electronic debit and got the error when my amendment due was $0.  I changed to mail in check and noticed now I am asked to send in the original payment due via mail.  So does this void my original return to make electronic debit?  I am confused and not sure if IRS will debit or I need to mail in.  Any help from people who resolved this??  Thanks.

Dude, I just had the same concern. Thankfully, IRS did electronically debit the taxes due on my original return, which makes me think that the turbotax email asking to make the payment by check as some kind of glitch in the system.

Furthermore, I also checked the current status of my amended return following this link (https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return), and found the same to be in progress.

FWIW, it's always better to keep a tab on your IRS account (https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account)  ,as that's the ultimate source of truth.

Thanks for the pointers.  I did check IRS.gov and noticed my e-file hasn't been processed yet -- and I had debit date sent to 5/12 in my original return.  Hopefully they'll debit and I don't have to deal with potentially missing the deadline.

Curious, was your payment under pending status before you filed your amendment?  Thanks a bunch.  

Yeah, looks like I was in a similar situation. I had also opted for a future debit for payment of the taxes that were due, however the date of debit provided was earlier than the date of filing the amendment. In fact, I was waiting for the debit to happen before filing the amended return, but finally after waiting for few days I decided to file the amended return even before the debit materialized. However, around the time I filed the amendment, I saw the debit also happen. So, it was  probably a mere coincidence that the amendment filing happened around the time my taxes got paid (through electronic debit).

I just checked and see IRS has my taxes due listed under scheduled payments (using electronic debit).  I guess payment comes first before processing your return.  Anyhow, I have one less thing to worry about and looks like a bug with TurboTax for sure.  Thanks for the help, good to know I wasn't the only one with this issue.

This thread really saved me at this last minute for 2020.  Followed the suggestion and it worked.  Thank you!  Hopefully TurboTax fix this bug.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies