Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

beka6840

Where's my refund says there is a delay with a reference number 1541. What does that mean?

I have had no updates, received no letters. I did get my transcript a couple weeks ago and they had 570 and 971 with the dates of 3-6-17. Those codes mean hold, and letter sent. I was able to reorder my transcripts last Friday but have not received them yet to see if anything has been updated. I'm kind of hoping for a update Saturday , but that's probably wishful thinking.
tn-green1

Where's my refund says there is a delay with a reference number 1541. What does that mean?

I called again this morning and was told that my return is under review and I should receive a CP05 notice in a week to 2 weeks. Then I need to allow 60 days for the review to be complete. Arghhh
tn-green1

I finally received a DDD! Best of luck you guys!

Confirmed identity a week ago and was told to wait 9 weeks. As of today received code 1541 and that taxes were being delayed. Also I was able to order transcripts. ...does anyone know what's going to happen next?
jep655

***UPDATE*** Filed 2/11, Accepted 2/12, Delayed Reference (1541) 2/18. Called 2/22, no info. Called again 3/3, was told a letter was sent out on or before 3/1 BC I was under further review and that it could take up to 9 weeks to process. So I was just anxious, waiting for the letter, and I actually still have not received it. Checked WMR (3/12) & my refund has been approved with DDD of 3/15.
GHarris

I got my letter today 3/13 saying..We received your income tax return and in the process of conducting a thorough review of your return information. This review is part of an ongoing program the IRS conducts to ensure the accuracy of return information...you aren't required to do anything at this time unless you didn't file a tax return. If you haven't received your refund or been contacted by us in writing within 60 days from the date of this letter 3/9/2017 you can call us at the number listed above 1-800-829-1040 Once we complete our review we may send your refund....Have anyone got this letter and got there returned yet.....

I got the letter

But no refund yet
jep655

@GHarris Yes. I actually received that same letter the day I received my DDD.

@jep655 what was the reason for your 1541?
jep655

For me, it meant review. I did not have to provide any information or take any action (even though my WMR said Take Action). I was told that the amount of returns they randomly review increased drastically this year. They look into things such as previous returns, offsets, reported income, deductions, etc... basically they pick certain returns and check every single bit of the information for accuracy. Luckily for me, everything checked out with mine & I finally got a DDD. So if you have no issues, give it a about a month. Feedback from people I've spoken with say the process took longer for them bc either their place of employment didn't send their w2 to the IRS in a timely matter, or the IRS found mathematical/grammatical errors or discovered they missed filing in a previous year or bc they had verify their identity and prove their deductions and dependents. Really, its like an audit if you ask me. But I haven't heard anyone say it took more than 60 total so its just a waiting game. Good luck!

@jep655 you got your ddd on a sunday
beka6840

Anyone who had to file a previous year tax return how long after you file it does it take for something to happen

@luvmyfmly have you received your refund?

Today my 1541 delay code is gone and wmr just says my refund is being processed.  I'm hoping that is a good thing... I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies