turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mother passed away 4/12/ 2017 and her taxes were not done for 2016. Do I file taxes normally for 2016 (since she was alive)? For 2017 taxes I notify irs of her death?

Because if the timing of her passing 4/12/17.. what I understand is that when I do her 2017 taxes that's when I indicate her passing. For a final return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mother passed away 4/12/ 2017 and her taxes were not done for 2016. Do I file taxes normally for 2016 (since she was alive)? For 2017 taxes I notify irs of her death?

First, you need to be her legal representative.  (Power of attorney, even if you have it, dissolves when she dies.)  There will be some procedure in your state to be named her personal representative or administrator of her estate.  Then you would file her 2016 tax return.  In Turbotax there is a box you can check for "taxpayer died in 2017 but before the return was filed."  You will need to print and file by mail.  Write "deceased" and the date at the top of page 1, and sign the back in your own name plus "personal representative."

Then you will also need to file a 2017 return for any 2017 taxable income she had before she passed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

First, you need to be her legal representative.  (Power of attorney, even if you have it, dissolves when she dies.)  There will be some procedure in your state to be named her personal representative or administrator of her estate.  Then you would file her 2016 tax return.  In Turbotax there is a box you can check for "taxpayer died in 2017 but before the return was filed."  You will need to print and file by mail.  Write "deceased" and the date at the top of page 1, and sign the back in your own name plus "personal representative."

Then you will also need to file a 2017 return for any 2017 taxable income she had before she passed.

Suggest that you read IRS Pub 559 (Survivors, Executors, and Administrators) for a lot of good information about filing the final return and estate return and other requirements.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf</a>
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies