Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

finding status of 2018 return

I am not able to find on the turbo tax site the status of tax filing for 2018.  When I log in, it reflects certain basic information about a 2018 filing, but I am not able to access any details.  How can I locate the latest information?

3 Replies
Level 15

finding status of 2018 return

When did you efile?  Was your return Accepted?  When you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile. Just paying the fee doesn't file the return.  After you paid did you continue on to the very end and hit the big orange Transmit Returns Now button?


When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  what does it say?

Returning Member

finding status of 2018 return

There is no available information on turbo tax for 2018.  This is s return that I do for an elderly parent.  I believe it is likely that I requested an extension but did not file for 2018.  I was trying to check on turbo tax for the last information I had for 2018, but cannot access any information

Level 15

finding status of 2018 return

Can you find the account?  Or would you have used the Desktop CD/Download program?


To look for accounts.  First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.


Or ask the IRS if it was filed.  See this IRS website for transcripts -


For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return to include copies of W-2's from the IRS by completing Form 4506 -

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies