turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmssnyder
Returning Member

Filing state taxes manually using turbotax desktop

I want to file my son's Indiana taxes manually but Turbo tax does not give me an option to do so.    All I can find is an option to efile it now or efile it later.

How can I get the Print returns to mail option for state.

Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

When you have the desktop software program open, go up to the menu on the top of your computer screen (not the one on the TT program) and click FILE.  A drop down will appear that will let you choose Print.  Then choose to print the state forms for mailing.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You have to choose File by Mail in the File section.   Sometimes you have to click on File by Mail more than once to get it to switch from e-file (TurboTax will try really hard to get you to go the recommended route, e-file, but you don't have to e-file).    You can also use Forms mode to print your return for mailing in the desktop version.   The state return works the same as the image below (for federal return).   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
lmssnyder
Returning Member

Hi DawnC:

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, the File by Mail option is not available in the menu pulldown or as an option.  

Screenshot 2024-03-26 202640.png

As you mentioned, I can simply print the forms.  The forms right now assume I filed the state forms  electronically but I can just make the needed adjustments to the pages I need to send by mail and add a note to minimize confusion next year.

Thank you again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies