Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Filed the wrong tax year

Filed 2015 instead of 2016
1 Reply

Filed the wrong tax year

Submitting the return for filing is just like dropping it into a mailbox - you can not get it back or change it.

Once you submit  and find that you need to make a change, you will have to wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return. If the return is rejected by the IRS, then you can make the necessary changes and resubmit it. If the return is accepted, then the only way to change it is to prepare an amended return and file it by mail.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies