turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GVU009

Filed taxes online (married filed jointly).Taxes were applied to husband's student loans. Can I amend as the injured spouse online or wait for paper copy to be processed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Filed taxes online (married filed jointly).Taxes were applied to husband's student loans. Can I amend as the injured spouse online or wait for paper copy to be processed?

Since you have already filed and your return has been accepted, you will need to complete and mail in Form 8379.  This form can be filed separately, so you will not have to Amend your original return. 

Please follow these instructions in order to complete Form 8379 after you have already filed in Turbotax online and mail it in as soon as possible:

• Login to your TurboTax Account 
  • Select "Tax Home" from the left side of your screen
  • Select "Show" next to your "Returns & Documents"
  • Choose the year you want to add the Form 8379, then select Amend (change) return. [Note, you are not really Amending your return, this is just how you get to the form in order to fill it out.]
  • Click "Search" in the upper right corner, then type "Injured Spouse" in the Search Box 
  • When the results populate, click the "Jump to Link"
  • Click "Yes" where it asks "Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief?"
  • From here TurboTax will walk you through preparing an Injured Spouse Form 8379
  • Once finished, you will need to print, sign and mail your Form 8379

If you have any issues, please comment below so that I can assist you further.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Since you have already filed and your return has been accepted, you will need to complete and mail in Form 8379.  This form can be filed separately, so you will not have to Amend your original return. 

Please follow these instructions in order to complete Form 8379 after you have already filed in Turbotax online and mail it in as soon as possible:

• Login to your TurboTax Account 
  • Select "Tax Home" from the left side of your screen
  • Select "Show" next to your "Returns & Documents"
  • Choose the year you want to add the Form 8379, then select Amend (change) return. [Note, you are not really Amending your return, this is just how you get to the form in order to fill it out.]
  • Click "Search" in the upper right corner, then type "Injured Spouse" in the Search Box 
  • When the results populate, click the "Jump to Link"
  • Click "Yes" where it asks "Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief?"
  • From here TurboTax will walk you through preparing an Injured Spouse Form 8379
  • Once finished, you will need to print, sign and mail your Form 8379

If you have any issues, please comment below so that I can assist you further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies