Here are a couple of ideas to direct you to the correct amount for your 2017 AGI:
- You need to use the AGI from your originally filed Form 1040, not an amended 1040-X.
- If you filed jointly last year, you both will use the exact same AGI from the Form 1040 that you filed
- If you didn't file jointly last year, you will each use the AGI from your own Form 1040. This is the case if you filed your own return and then did an Amendment to file together later.
Your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) can be found on your 2017 Tax Return:
If you filed a:
- 2017 Form 1040: your AGI can be found on line 37
- 2017 Form 1040A: your AGI can be found on line 21
- 2017 Form 1040 EZ: your AGI can be found on line 4
If you do not have a copy of your 2017 Tax Return, you can order a free transcript online from the IRS by clicking here: Get My Transcript. Your IRS transcript will include your AGI from last year.
If you did not file last year, you should use -0- zero for your AGI.
You can check out the TurboTax FAQ link for more details on Finding Your 2017 AGI.
Once you find your correct 2017 AGI amount, please follow these instructions to correct it in TurboTax:
- Login to your TurboTax Account
- Click "Take Me To My Return"
- Click "File" from the left side of your screen
- Go to Step 3 (if needed, revisit Steps 1 and/or 2 to activate Step 3).
- Proceed, and make sure you've selected the option "I want to E-file"
- Continue through the screens and you will be given the opportunity to input your 2017 AGI
- Keep walking through the steps until you have re-transmitted your return
Please comment below if you need further assistance to fix your return.
Thanks for the advice. I tried to change my AGI several times even if everytime I put the correct numbers to change, It was rejected by IRS for the number I put first time incorrectly. Now I’m no longer allowed to change the AGI. Should I file an amended or re-file my tax return by mail?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Try again to enter your correct AGI after 24 hours. You may just be temporarily locked out. If the correct AGI doesn't work, try the number 0. If that doesn't work you will have to print and mail your return. You must print and mail it yourself. TurboTax does not print and mail it for you. Follow the filing instructions that print as the first page of your printed return. They tell you what to include and where to mail the return.
You don't do an amended return. Amended returns are only for changing an original return that has already been filed and accepted.