Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed ammended return before direct debit completed on original -- will it still go through?

I filed a return in March where I owed money and selected direct debit on April 16. Then I realized some information was missing on a form that would require me to owe a little less money. I immediately filed an amended return and Turbo Tax wanted me to mail in a check for what I owed in taxes (amount from original return - over payment) even though I had already signed up for the debit. I didn't want to double pay as I had a large bill -- my expectation was that the direct debit would still go through on April 16 and then later I would get a small amount of refund back from my over payment. Are my expectations correct, or is TurboTax going to cancel the originally scheduled debit because of the amended return I filed? If TurboTax is going to cancel the debit, should I hop on the IRS site and pay what I owed on the original return, or the smaller, correct amount from the amended return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Filed ammended return before direct debit completed on original -- will it still go through?

No, the payment will probably go through since it's done through computers. TurboTax does not have the capability to take back your Direct Debit request once your return is e-filed. 

Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.

• Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
  • If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a Letter 4870 to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.
  • In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred.
  • Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

No, the payment will probably go through since it's done through computers. TurboTax does not have the capability to take back your Direct Debit request once your return is e-filed. 

Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.

• Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
  • If a payment is returned by your financial institution (e.g., due to insufficient funds, incorrect account information, closed account, etc.) the IRS will mail a Letter 4870 to the address we have on file for you, explaining why the payment could not be processed, and providing alternate payment options.
  • In the event your financial institution is unable to process your payment request, you will be responsible for making other payment arrangements, and for any penalties and interest incurred.
  • Contact your financial institution immediately if there is an error in the amount withdrawn.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies