turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JRE2024
Returning Member

Federal tax amendment 2024

I submitted my 2024 taxes online with TurboTax premiere  in early February. Federal and state were received and accepted.  I owed and paid federal.  I received my refund from state.

Then I received a late 1099B for a very small amount. Less than $50.  I tried to file an amended return online with TurboTax.  The amended return showed that $5 of the federal tax I had paid on the sale of a partial share of stock was due back to me.  The instructions told me that I could not submit it online and I would have to mail it.  
So I printed the 1040X.  There is only information for the partial share in columns B and C.  Column A is all zeroes.  There is no information in the top portion of the first page. No name, social security, address or anything.  

I must have done it incorrectly!  What did I do wrong?  It does say at the top that the return is for calendar year 2023.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You are confused about the tax year--so let's clear that up first.  No one has filed a 2024 tax return.  The returns that everyone is working on now are for tax year 2023---the tax year that ended on December 31, 2023.   No one will prepare /file a 2024 tax return until tax year 2024 is over---so in 2025.

You prepared and submitted a 2023 tax return.  You owed some money to the IRS--you paid it.  You received a refund from your state.

Then you received a tax document -- a 1099B--- that needed to be added to your return on a Form 1040X.  

Did you follow these directions to amend?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

It is quite correctly showing at the top that it is a 2023 1040X.   If you are getting a little refund for that amended return, go ahead and mail it in to the IRS.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JRE2024
Returning Member

You are right!  I submitted my 2023 taxes not 2024 taxes.  I think I followed the directions.  I’ve used TurboTax for several years and not really had any problems. My concern is that there is not a bit of identifying information on the first page. 

I can write it in but I would have expected it to fill in my name, address, social, etc.  

It’s only $5 !  

Thank you!

Before you mail it---just write it all in or the IRS will not know who to send the $5 to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies