Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal Return rejected for Foreign Tax Credit Carryover Calculation Error?

I've used TurboTax for years without a single issue or rejected return.  e-Filed my Federal Return yesterday via TurboTax and it was rejected for a Fed Form 1116 Carryover Foreign Taxes calculation issue.  Before filing I entered all information correctly using the step-by-step method and the software ran two analysis and reviews indicating all calculations are correct.  I have two foreign tax credits and a single carryover from previous years which TurboTax automatically included in this year's return.  I then e-filed through TurboTax.

The TurboTax rejection email directed me to reload TurboTax, download updates (which it did), recheck entries which I did and attempt to e-file again.  I crosschecked applicable forms and worksheets.  Nothing seems to have changed.  TurboTax just recently released the Foreign Tax Credit for 2021 section of their software and may have updated it with their software update today, 18 March.  I hope this corrected any issues with internal software calculations.  When TurboTax tells me there is a calculation issue is it internal to their software or a potential entry error on my part which their internal software review process doesn't catch.

TurboTax  email with rejection explanation below: 

What happened

Fed_1116_Carryover_Foreign_Taxes - There is a potential issue with the calculation of the carryover of foreign taxes.

Any ideas on how to approach this before I try to e-file again? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@EU118 According to TurboTax Moderators, this issue was resolved on 3/12/2022.

If you are using TurboTax Online, please sign out of your TT program.  Then clear your cache and delete cookies.  See if this clears the way for e-filing.

How to clear your cache 

If you are using TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download), be sure your software has been updated.  You may find that you need to manually update your software.  I'm linking those instructions below.

Manually update TurboTax for Windows software 

If you still experience the problem, please contact TurboTax Customer Support using the info I'm linking below.  Hopefully you won't need to contact them, but just in case...

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@EU118 According to TurboTax Moderators, this issue was resolved on 3/12/2022.

If you are using TurboTax Online, please sign out of your TT program.  Then clear your cache and delete cookies.  See if this clears the way for e-filing.

How to clear your cache 

If you are using TurboTax Desktop (CD/Download), be sure your software has been updated.  You may find that you need to manually update your software.  I'm linking those instructions below.

Manually update TurboTax for Windows software 

If you still experience the problem, please contact TurboTax Customer Support using the info I'm linking below.  Hopefully you won't need to contact them, but just in case...

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Thank you.  It appears the update to TurboTax cleared up the issue of the rejected return.  I updated TurboTax, reviewed my entries, and resubmitted my return.  The IRS accepted it.  I'm relieved.

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@EU118 So happy to hear it!  It IS a relief!

cmr949

I tried the manual patch as instructed, but it won't install.  The installation error message says a file cannot be found in folder Data1.cab.

Would appreciate help with what to do next!

The problem you describe cropped up last year for some people.  A link was posted in this forum which you might want to try.  The link connects to TurboTax Support and describes a manual update process which seems straightforward.  I did not use this process as my update went smoothly.  If it doesn't work or you don't want to try it your option is to contact TurboTax support.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Here's the link: 

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (intuit.com)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies