Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Extension payment

September 11th - filed 1040. $5000 refund was due which was moved to next year taxes.

September 15th - Filed amended 1040 as I forgot to add one 1099-INT. TurboTax asked me to pay $1000 as tax due. I gave bank info. IRS took my $1000. Now, TurboTax didn't add $1000 to the total amount of taxes paid but instead reduced my refund from $5000 to $4000 and said that $4000 will be added as my estimated tax payment for next year.. isn't it a double payment? Should I contact IRS to add $1000 also to my total tax payments or IRS will do the calculations and adjust my refund due to $5000?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Extension payment

Not following.  What does any of this have to do with Extension payment?   You should have waited to amend until the original return was done processing.  Where do you expect to see the 1,000 as taxes paid or add to your payments?  So your original return refund would have been 4,000.  You owed 1,000 back.  I think you still can  apply 5,000 to next year's tax return.  Although I don't know how amended returns work when you applied some refund to next year.  

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

Ignore any 1040V voucher that prints out and the new 1040. Those are what your return would have been if you had not needed to amend.

Extension payment

Your overpayment (refund) line 18 1040-X comes from 1040 Line 34  regardless of any amount applied to next year.

In other words, that has no impact on your amendment.

@VolvoGirl 

@Tripleleverageonly 

Extension payment

I might not have been very clear. Since I added a new 1099, TurboTax asked me to pay $1000 tax on that interest and took my bank account to withdraw the money. Also, they adjusted my refund from $5000 to $4000 in my amended tax return. This means IRS is getting $2000 from me instead of $1000. I spoke to the IRS agent and I was told to wait until the tax return is processed. Then, I can call them and have them return my $1000 to my bank account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies