Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

einsea

Estimated Tax payment for 2023

My husband and I did a Roth conversion (transferred $ from a traditional IRA to a Roth account) in December 2023. I would like to make an estimated tax payment prior to January 15, 2024, since the conversion was significant and we want to avoid any penalty for insufficient payment for tax year 2023. (I was on hold to speak with someone at the IRS for 2 hrs. and 4 minutes before I was disconnected after hearing the message, "We cannot complete your call at this time, please try again later.") I found form 1040-ES, which seems fairly straightforward, though the accompanying instructions, look somewhat involved in that it provides instructions to estimate one's 2023 taxes in order to estimate the payments. I also accessed the IRS direct pay website, which seems very straightforward. Since we have a good idea of the amount we need to pay, based on our conversion amount and tax bracket, can we simply forward the payment electronically through this site? We use Turbo Tax to complete our taxes, though have not yet logged in with our new purchased product for 2023. I would appreciate any guidance you can provide. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

use the IRS "Make a payment page"

Select Estimated Tax

make sure to specify the correct tax year.

You don't need turbotax, and you don't need to talk to the IRS.

@einsea 

einsea

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. Once I found the IRS Direct pay page, it seemed pretty straightforward to me.

The other IRS make a payment site seems to take you to a page where you have to sign in with ID.me, though when I looked into it that system seems to have had some security issues, so I'd rather not go through with ID.me's registration process / a 3rd party. Interesting that the IRS Direct pay page https://directpay.irs.gov/directpay/payment?execution=e1s1

allows one to log in / verify their id with name, address, ss # as identifying factors.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies