Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Encountering problems efiling 2020 tax amendment 1040x

asking for archaic date (before 2021) &
not allowing me to change my filing status to married joint from married separate (the point of my amendment)
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

A 2020 amended tax return cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.  It will have to be printed and mailed.  If taxes are owed on the amended return you will have to either include a check with the mailed return or pay the taxes owed on the IRS payment website - https://www.irs.gov/payments

In the File section of the program change your method of filing to File by Mail

and if you are changing the status from Separate to Joint, be sure to file a 1040X for the other return (the one that was filed Separate but is now to be reversed because all the income is reflected on the now Joint return).

If you each filed separate returns originally then  you only have to amend ONE return ... do NOT amend them both.  Amending one will automatically amend the other.  

Thanks everyone for your replies.. the current IRS update clearly states that 2020 amendments are now efile-able (without mentioning ineligiblity due to trying to amend MFS to MFJ as I’m doing). Looks like the problem is on Turbotax’s end and will have to make an otherwise unnecessary and painful trip to the post office.

Sorry ... although the IRS allows efiling of amended returns and most paid tax pros can efile them  but the DIY programs like TT  are not on board with this option yet ... maybe in the future. 

Thanks C for your reply and for the correction to the earlier post in the thread -noted!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies