Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sam

EIC I filed and Turbo Tax said I would get it for my Handycap son. IRS said no because I am over 65

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

EIC I filed and Turbo Tax said I would get it for my Handycap son. IRS said no because I am over 65

There is no age limit to qualify for EIC for someone who claims a qualifying child on their tax return, has earned income and does not exceed the earned income or AGI limits. Was your handicapped son totally and permanently disabled and did you claim him as a qualifying child? Did you have earned income (social security is not earned income) and was it and your AGI below the income limits? If you meet all the requirements, you should appeal the IRS's decision.  Did they send you a letter and tell you what steps to take if you disagreed with them?

Here are the qualifications for getting EIC: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p596

Sam

Yes my son is mentally challenged.  He is in a sheltered workshop.  My AGI was less than ten thousand.

I have gotten the EIC for several years.   They said the I or my wife must be between 25 and 65 years old before Dec 31st of the tax year.

But are you claiming him as a dependent on your return?  Maybe you entered him wrong and not as disabled.  How old is he?

Sam

He has been registered as disable since he was 4.  He has always been a dependent.  They have been giving me EIC for years.  I have used turbotax  for years.  The information transfers over and it is correct.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies