turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Economic Stimulus

I filed 2018 taxes, I do not need to file taxes this year, because I made under 200.00. My husband is incarcerated and has been for the whole year. Trying to get my stimulus payment as early as possible I filed taxes anyway, Turbotax software kept making me put in married filing jointly, not thinking anything of it, I went ahead and just let it go through. My sole purpose was to put my banking information in for direct deposit. Thinking about it now, we do NOT have a joint account, also how would I possibly get him to sign the check? The prisons are closed due to coronavirus, etc. I am not sure what I need to do now. I do have full power of attorney. Not sure if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not sure whether to file an ammended return or what? And what if they do send a check or try to direct deposit and it wont go through?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Economic Stimulus

It is not a requirement that a refund from a joint return be deposited into a joint account.  As long as your bank will accept the deposit, then you will not have an issue with that. 

If you do receive a paper check instead of a direct deposit, your power of attorney should allow you to deposit or cash the check without getting your spouse's actual signature.  

An amended return should not be required.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Economic Stimulus

It is not a requirement that a refund from a joint return be deposited into a joint account.  As long as your bank will accept the deposit, then you will not have an issue with that. 

If you do receive a paper check instead of a direct deposit, your power of attorney should allow you to deposit or cash the check without getting your spouse's actual signature.  

An amended return should not be required.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies