lwampler353

Economic Stimulus

I filed 2018 taxes, I do not need to file taxes this year, because I made under 200.00. My husband is incarcerated and has been for the whole year. Trying to get my stimulus payment as early as possible I filed taxes anyway, Turbotax software kept making me put in married filing jointly, not thinking anything of it, I went ahead and just let it go through. My sole purpose was to put my banking information in for direct deposit. Thinking about it now, we do NOT have a joint account, also how would I possibly get him to sign the check? The prisons are closed due to coronavirus, etc. I am not sure what I need to do now. I do have full power of attorney. Not sure if that helps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not sure whether to file an ammended return or what? And what if they do send a check or try to direct deposit and it wont go through?

AnnetteB6

Economic Stimulus

It is not a requirement that a refund from a joint return be deposited into a joint account.  As long as your bank will accept the deposit, then you will not have an issue with that. 

If you do receive a paper check instead of a direct deposit, your power of attorney should allow you to deposit or cash the check without getting your spouse's actual signature.  

An amended return should not be required.  

AnnetteB6

Economic Stimulus