Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

I can't say for sure.  This is a different situation.  Must be the duplicate account numbers. 

Perhaps just go ahead and print the return and file by mail?

Check out the IRS site for filing options https://www.irs.gov/filing/e-file-options

Good Luck!

It worked for us.  Only changed Box 1 

sjmswms
Returning Member

After repeat rejections doing other adjustments I tried the "add a penny" to one of two 1099-Rs having equal amounts and the return was accepted. The IRS will likely get hundreds of thousands of returns now with 1099-Rs that are a penny different when compared with the issued document.

Since I got the idea from postings made in 2021 I hope I am safe assuming no one was audited as a result.

BZ597

After the first rejection I made sure that each 1099-R had a different name and account number and refiled.

Got same rejection from IRS for duplicate 1099-R s.  Then I changed the name of the financial institution slightly on one of the 1099-R's.For example, on one 1099-R show the payer as "New York University Federal Credit Union.  Then on the other 1099-R show the name of the payer as NYU Fed Credit Union. Then for the $ amount

keep dollars and cents in one of the 1099-R's and the round up or down to the nearest dollar on the other

1099-R. After doing this I refiled electronically again, and it got accepted.

Calvin715

We have two retirement accounts that are managed by the same retiree pension service. They look like this on form 1099-R:

[ this bank ] Retiree Services for

[ company A ] Pension Plan

and

[ this bank ] Retiree Services for

[ company B ] Pension Plan

I entered them on Line 1 and Line 2 of the form as shown. Apparently the IRS review only looks at Line 1 and saw these as a duplicate entry. I changed them to put the entire source on Line 1, like this:

[ this bank ] Retiree Services for [ company A ] Pension Plan

and

[ this bank ] Retiree Services for [ company B ] Pension Plan

Here is another case:  I e-filed on 12Feb2022 and got this rejection notice on 13Feb.  My situation is the same as most contributors:  two 1099-Rs with the same amounts (one for me and one for my wife) from the same financial institution (FI).  I had the same situation last year with no issues.  After reading the comments about changing the FI name slightly and also finding a FI typo in last years return, I tried that workaround first.  I submitted it on 13Feb and got a rejection on 14Feb.  Now I am going with the $0.01 approach on the gross amount on one 1099-R.  I submitted it today. 

Update:  My return was accepted within 30 minutes of submission.

I also received the same message from Turbo Tax regarding 'duplicate 1099R forms" in reality, the forms weren't duplicate, just the same exact dollar amounts for my wife and I. for the tax year 2020, the same amounts were entered and they were accepted. I did the work around as suggested by others by adding .01 to the amount and they were accepted. 

JimC1946

I have the same issue. I followed all the instructions. I called TurboTax and had them look at the forms to ensure there was no duplicate. I have resubmitted and efiled and have not received a reply

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

@JimC1946

This has happened before, it is a safeguard to prevent actual duplicate records.  A workaround is to add $1 to one 1099-R and subtract $1 from the other.  This will not affect your tax return at all, and it will resolve the duplication issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@JohnB5677  All of us understand that this is a safeguard to prevent duplicate records.  The problem is that none of these are duplicates.  Different payers, different payees, and different account numbers are all distinguishing characteristics.  It appears that the safeguard is based solely on the amount.  It is frustrating that the workaround for this issue is to submit records to the IRS that do not reconcile with what the payers are submitting, and given the current condition of the IRS this is unlikely to be fixed anytime soon.  My opinion is that this is also a result of climate change and will be resolved when hell freezes over.

It does appear that the amount is the primary verifier - but that said, I find it annoying and questionable that TurboTax asks for verification of who the 1099R is for and yet we get the reject notice - but didn't get it last year or the year before on the same forms.  I still think that TurboTax needs to recheck their transmission files - I'm not totally convinced that the IRS is the primary source of the reject notice - although TT blames them when you call in and ask.

I've seen other threads where people say that using H&R Block they don't get rejected.

Taxquestioner1947
Returning Member

This issue of adding/subtracting amounts maybe fine if the amounts are the same.  Mine are not. same bank name but different accounts and different amounts.  I finally mailed them - after talking to 4 reps and trying 4 times to file.   This is frustrating since one of the main issues for using TT is the e-file.  Mailing takes much longer to process, and you have to pay for return receipt.  I have used the same accounts and amounts for five years now with TT and never had a problem.  Next year I will probably go with another company.

Thanks!  Nice to know TT has consistently reintroduced this issue 3 tax seasons and running.  TT needs to implement a better software testing cycle.

From what I understand, it's not IRS, but TT's internal verification system that is wonky. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies