Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

madas
Returning Member

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

The $0.1 worked for me as well. Return was accepted after three rejections. thanks for the suggestion

evolent

Exactly the same issue here. It's stupid that people are forced to change their information by a penny in order to placate a broken system when we are paying hundreds of dollars for filing through TT.

Same issue here. Duplicate 1099-R forms. Just received my second rejection notice. Apparently I'll have to submit my return the old-fashioned way, by mail.

Sooz
Level 3

@cet_tn 
if you add one penny to the distribution amount of one of your “duplicates” and re-file, it should allow it to go through. So far everyone who’s tried that (in this conversation) has had success.

just hang onto your documentation along with your other tax records just in case any questions come up later.

Thank you! Just resubmitted it.

My pension comes from a company that sold last year and the 1099s are exactly the same amounts, but from different companies, name, addresses, etc.  My filing keeps getting rejected.  Is there any workaround that I can do to make this work?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

First, be absolutely sure that you did get the correct distribution, and that they are not duplicates.  However, from time to time you do actually get to forms that report identical income.  This is unusual, so it gets flagged.

A simple way to resolve this is to add $1 to one 1099-R, and subtract $1 from the other.  Your taxable income is identical and it bypasses the issue of identical forms.

This is how to post a 1099-R

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Wages & Income" on the top
  3. Scroll down to  "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R)
  4. Answer "Yes" to the question "Did You Have Any of These Types of Income?"
  5. Click "I'll Type it Myself"
  6. Choose "Form 1099-R, Withdrawal of Money from 401(k) Retirement Plans, Pensions, IRAs, etc."
  7. Click "Continue"
  8. From here TurboTax will walk you through entering your Form 1099-R

@slptx

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem.  We rec'd 2 1099R's for the same amount - one is taxable and the other was a direct rollover to an IRA.  I've checked everything and resubmitted and was rejected twice.  I'm going to try the penny solution.  I'll post if it works.  

Sooz
Level 3

@JohnB5677 

I somewhat disagree with you with regards to “prevention”

1. Users should not have to alter the information any form provided them  by a payer

2. if this condition raises a “flag”, it should do so when you create and save your forms, NOT after TurboTax has “reviewed” your return, deemed it error-free, and attempted the e-file

3. this condition is not as unusual as you stated, and others in this thread have said they had the same condition in previous years and it did NOT cause filing errors previously. I will have the same situation every year until my broker decides to change the composition of my income source(s). That is not up to me.

perhaps a better solution is for TurboTax to perform more edits and throw an error - or at least a warning - if this condition exists at “save” time. Even better, it should identify the pieces of information on the form that as a combination can assure a unique entry without having to manipulate the reported amounts! That way, they will never create a file to be transmitted that has “duplicate” data for the IRS. 

The sooner a potential error is caught, the better. And it prevents us users from having heart palpitations from seeing “IRS” and “REJECTED” in an email. 

The penny change didn’t work for me so I am doing $1 up on one an $1 down on the other.  Surely IRS won’t audit me for that, but who knows.

I have the same rejection error.  I don't expect Intuit to admit it's their end.  They are like Apple, they are NEVER wrong.  Intuit had a bug in their depreciation - well technically it was a mis-worded guidance.  Tech support was nasty about it.  I noticed they changed the wording a year later.  

I added a penny to my 1099R and it was accepted.  Thanks to everyone for posting that solution

Sooz
Level 3

@slptx Did you add a penny to all of the “duplicate” forms, or just one? So far everyone else using the penny approach has had success. 

however, the +$1 offset by -$1 should work as well. Good luck!

hl123
Returning Member

I had the exactly same rejection on 1099R duplication for me and my spouse 1099R from same broker and happen to have the same numbers.

I called Intuit and they said it's an IRS receiving ends bug, but they cannot offer work-around other than adding one-cent to one of the 1099R form. I did that and e-filed again, see if it would go through

I tried that and it worked. Good luck! 

We got the same rejection due to duplicate 1099-R (they said) but we have no dup so added a penny and just resubmitted. Fingers crossed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies