turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file amended CA 565 partnership

I am trying to amend my California State General Partnership tax return (form 565 and form 3804).  The CA State FTB (Franchise Tax Board) says that all original and amended returns are supposed to use e-filing.  How can Turbo Tax Business file an amended General Partnership tax return.  I do not see an option.  Do you have to file for a waiver from the State of California and submit by mail?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

No, CA does not require amended Form 565s to be e-filed and can be mailed in without needing a waiver. See Amend CA 565 for specifics and the mailing address for your amended return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

@AliciaP1Thank you so much!  Do you happen to know if Turbo Tax Business supports e-file of amended 565 and K1?  I am happy to print and mail, but would love to e-file the amendment if it is at all possible; it is just easier to do.  I will certainly file by paper if I have to.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

No, California Form 565S is not available to e-file using TurboTax Business. See AliciaP1's post for instructions on filing by mail.

4 Replies
AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

No, CA does not require amended Form 565s to be e-filed and can be mailed in without needing a waiver. See Amend CA 565 for specifics and the mailing address for your amended return.

@AliciaP1Thank you so much!  Do you happen to know if Turbo Tax Business supports e-file of amended 565 and K1?  I am happy to print and mail, but would love to e-file the amendment if it is at all possible; it is just easier to do.  I will certainly file by paper if I have to.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

No, California Form 565S is not available to e-file using TurboTax Business. See AliciaP1's post for instructions on filing by mail.

Yes, the answer is correct.  However you need to note/check some other things.  I just filed an amended 565 for 2023.  When you print out the CA return to mail in, TT has omitted the "Reason for the Change" page, which is Page 5 of the IRS 1065X return.  You will need to go to the IRS PDF version of the submittal, find the Page 5 "Reasons", and separately print it out and insert it in the CA mailing.  My change was an Administrative change, maybe that is why TT missed it.

You also have no idea where to mail it.  Mail it to: Franchise Tax Board; PO Box 942857; Sacramento, CA  94257-0500.

Thirdly, no where does TT say if you need to sign the return by hand.  I defaulted to "yes", and re-signed the return.

Fourth, if you go through and look at the pages, there are pages in the package that you are supposed to keep for your files.  Pull those pages and don't mail them.

Finally, when you look at the pages pulled, the depreciation schedule (for me at least, maybe it is my printer settings) printed out the schedule in a portrait setting, not landscape.  You will need to go back to the electronic copy, where it is in landscape mode and print it out in landscape mode.

Hope this helps!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies