jamartin1111

During the 2017 Tax Year I lived in California until March 14th. (relo) My employer didn't change my address till May... How do I get back 2 1/2 months of overpaid taxes?

Title says it. 01/01/17 - 03/14/17 I lived and worked in San Jose California. I was relocated for work and moved in with a friend in Texas. To my surprise, my employer paycheck after paycheck forgot to change my permanent address. (Which is a whole different story)

How do I get my money back since I overpaid state/city tax for near 2 1/2 months?

Thank you in advance!

***EDIT***

I'm doing State Tax right now. I'm at a part that asks "How much of the $xxx,xxx did you earn while living or working in California?"

Now the blank has the amount that is reflected on the W-2 (Which is wrong and overpaid). Do I erase that and go back to my paystub on the 5/31/17, which is when they finally made the change, to enter that amount?

Lisa995

You'll file a part year CA return...if too much was taken, they will refund it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jamartin1111

Hi Lisa995, I'm doing State Tax right now. I'm at a part that asks "How much of the $xxx,xxx did you earn while living or working in California?"

Again, thank you so much!
Lisa995

You would figure the amount you earned up until the day you moved, do you have the checkstub that ends near the 3/14 date of move?, does it let you change the amount in that "blank"?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jamartin1111

Hey Lisa, Please see above. #1's is the amount the fed is taxing me on. #2 is the amount california is taxing me on. They are different numbers due to me living there "May" cause my employer messed up that part.