Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

During the 2017 Tax Year I lived in California until March 14th. (relo) My employer didn't change my address till May... How do I get back 2 1/2 months of overpaid taxes?

Title says it. 01/01/17 - 03/14/17 I lived and worked in San Jose California. I was relocated for work and moved in with a friend in Texas. To my surprise, my employer paycheck after paycheck forgot to change my permanent address. (Which is a whole different story)

How do I get my money back since I overpaid state/city tax for near 2 1/2 months?

Thank you in advance!

***EDIT***

I'm doing State Tax right now. I'm at a part that asks "How much of the $xxx,xxx did you earn while living or working in California?"

Now the blank has the amount that is reflected on the W-2 (Which is wrong and overpaid). Do I erase that and go back to my paystub on the 5/31/17, which is when they finally made the change, to enter that amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

During the 2017 Tax Year I lived in California until March 14th. (relo) My employer didn't change my address till May... How do I get back 2 1/2 months of overpaid taxes?

You'll file a part year CA return...if too much was taken, they will refund it.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Hi Lisa995, I'm doing State Tax right now. I'm at a part that asks "How much of the $xxx,xxx did you earn while living or working in California?"

Now the blank has the amount that is reflected on the W-2 (Which is wrong and overpaid). Do I erase that and go back to my paystub on the 5/31/17, which is when they finally made the change, to enter that amount?

Again, thank you so much!

You would figure the amount you earned up until the day you moved, do you have the checkstub that ends near the 3/14 date of move?, does it let you change the amount in that "blank"?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Hey Lisa, Please see above. #1's is the amount the fed is taxing me on. #2 is the amount california is taxing me on. They are different numbers due to me living there "May" cause my employer messed up that part.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies