turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file an amendment to record 1099-Q forms for a 529 rollover?

In 2017, we rolled over our NJBEST 529 account completely into a NY 529 plan. We received 1099-Q forms for this rollover. We filed our 2017 tax returns last week but forgot to include the 1099-Q forms. 

I went through the TurboTax amend tax return process and it states that it had no effect on our taxes. I know that 529 rollovers are not taxable but not sure how to proceed. Are we required to file an amendment regardless? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

A 529 plan rollover is not taxable and has no effect on your tax return. You do not need to amend your tax return. Just keep that form 1099-Q in your tax records for at least 3 years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

A 529 plan rollover is not taxable and has no effect on your tax return. You do not need to amend your tax return. Just keep that form 1099-Q in your tax records for at least 3 years.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the quick response, TurboTaxMinhT. Much appreciated.

I'm looking to do an indirect rollover from a 529 to an ABLE account.  I am the owner of the 529 while my child is the beneficiary.  Under ABLE, I understand that the owner and the beneficiary must be the same person.  It it therefore necessary for the withdrawal from the 529 be made in my child's name?  If not, and considering that the rollover itself will be a non-taxable event, are there any tax implications to doing it in either my name or my child's name?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No - The 529 withdrawal does not have to be in the child's name.

According to the IRS:

Rollovers and transfers from section 529 plans

• Families may now roll over funds from a 529 plan to another family member’s ABLE account. 
  • The ABLE account must be for the same beneficiary as the 529 account or for a member of the same family as the 529 account holder. Rollovers from a section 529 plan count toward the annual contribution limit. 
    • Here is an example: the $15,000 annual contribution limit would be met by parents contributing $10,000 to their child’s ABLE account and rolling over $5,000 from a 529 plan to the same ABLE account.

States can offer ABLE accounts to help people who become disabled before age 26 and their families save and pay for disability-related expenses. These expenses include housing, education, transportation, health, prevention and wellness, employment training and support, assistive technology and personal support services. Though contributions aren’t deductible for Federal tax purposes, distributions, including earnings, are tax-free to the beneficiary, as long as they are used to pay qualified disability expenses. 

For more information click on this link:  Tax reform affects ABLE accounts, saver’s credit, 529 rollovers 

Manage cookies