turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file an amended federal tax return if it didn't affect my return at all?

Originally I didn't include $3000 from a 1099-MISC from box 7 (non employee compensation). I used that $3000 to pay a contractor, so it wasn't actually taxable income and it didn't affect my return (federal or state). Turbo Tax even gave me a notification asking if I was sure I needed to file an amended return because there was no difference. I want to make sure I need to send this or not before I mail it. Help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Do I need to file an amended federal tax return if it didn't affect my return at all?

My recommendation is to amend your tax return.  Theoretically, you don't need to amend your return if it doesn't change your refund/tax liability. Practically, however - the IRS has a copy of the 1099-MISC and will be looking for it on your tax return; they also don't know that you have expenses against that income.  To avoid a CP2000 letter asking your for tax due on the $3000 and missing form, amend the return to show that you report the income and claim the expenses against it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My recommendation is to amend your tax return.  Theoretically, you don't need to amend your return if it doesn't change your refund/tax liability. Practically, however - the IRS has a copy of the 1099-MISC and will be looking for it on your tax return; they also don't know that you have expenses against that income.  To avoid a CP2000 letter asking your for tax due on the $3000 and missing form, amend the return to show that you report the income and claim the expenses against it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies