Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Groda2015
Returning Member

Disputing an IRS bill

I used Turbo Tax desktop and did my returns. Everything was perfect but the IRS is saying there was a mistake in calculations even though all my numbers and theirs match. They say I owe $999.00

I think it has to do with the Stimulus. I qualified for $2800. They Sent my Bank $2800 but then took back more than half right away without notification. I have the bank statements. In Turbo tax it even says "it looks like you qualified for 2800. Is that the amount you received?  Put in the amount the actual amount. When I put my number in, THe Federal amount changes from owing to receiving a refund.

The IRS says I must call to Dispute but after 10 minutes of push phone buttons, It does not give me the option to dispute and hangs the phone up.

What the best way to handle this 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Disputing an IRS bill

The IrS is the only solution.  TurboTax does not process returns for refunds.  There has been a lot of issues with refunds being different this year due to Stimulus payments.  You will have an opportunity to address the issue once you receive a Notice of Adjustment from the IRS.  Calling very early in the morning is your bet option.

The IRS reviews the information you entered in your return and compares it with what they have in their database. If there are any discrepancies, they make adjustments accordingly and send your reduced refund.

Some common errors found are incorrect advance Child Tax Credit or stimulus payments amounts, which can cause significant reductions in your expected refund.

The IRS will send you a letter explaining the adjustment, but it usually takes about three weeks to arrive. If you got your refund already, check the IRS Where’s my refund? site to see what they adjusted and how it impacted your refund. It may take several days for the site to be updated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies