Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hello40
Returning Member

Dependent

Hi,

I am divorced and have one son. Every year I used to file as. Head of the household.

This year my son filled his taxes and did not checked the box which says “Someone can claim him as dependent “

Now my taxes got rejected when I claimed him. Now I am not able to file as Head of House hold and that is affected my refund tremendously (almost $3000).

what are my options. And if my son amends his taxes will his refunds will get affected?

It’s difficult for me to do math on what would be the best scenario for this situation? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Dependent

You have not provided any information about your son.   How old is he?   Was he a full-time student in 2023?   If he can be claimed as a dependent, then he made a mistake.  This is very common among students and young people filing their first tax returns. They have no idea and they mess things up for their parents by saying no one can claim them.  

If he can be claimed as your dependent, then you need to print, sign and mail your own tax return so that you can claim him and file as HOH.   He has to amend his own tax return, but you do not have to wait for him to do that.  You can mail your own return whenever you are ready to mail it.  

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

The criteria to determine if he can still be claimed as a qualifying child or qualifying relative:

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2023 tax return as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,700 in 2023.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

INFORMATION FOR YOUR SON:

Did you e-file first——and now is your parent’s return that claims you as a dependent being rejected when they try to e-file?

Your parents cannot e-file this year---at all,   When you filed a tax return that said no one could claim you as a dependent you put your SSN into the system and it will stay that way for many months even after you amend,   No one else can e-file a tax return with your SSN on it, so now the only way your parents can file their tax return is by mail.  The IRS processes mailed returns a different way, so the duplicate use of your SSN will not stop the IRS from processing your parents' mailed return.   The problem is that it takes the IRS a lot longer to process mailed returns, so if your parents need their refund they will wait a lot longer for it. 

If it is any comfort, you (and your parents) are among many young tax filers who make this mistake.  We will be seeing plenty of posts just like yours.   And posts from the parents whose e-files were rejected....

When your own return has been fully processed, you will have to amend it.    When you amend you will go to My Info.  Click your name and go through the screens to the question that asks if you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.  You need to say YES.    Do not amend yet.  Wait for the IRS to process your return.   Your parent does not need to wait for you to amend.  They can mail her return whenever they are ready.  Waiting will not help them.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
hello40
Returning Member

Dependent

Thank you for the detailed response.

So will this affect my sons tax refund? 

Why is my refund decreasing a lot if I file as a single.

Filing as a HOH is giving me a huge refund.

Dependent

Your refund is different because if you cannot claim your son you are losing the $500 credit for other dependents, and because there is a significant difference in your standard deduction when you file single or HOH.  It is very unlikely that amending will have any effect on your son's refund.

Your standard deduction lowers your taxable income. The standard deduction makes some of your income “tax free.”  It is not a refund.  You will see your standard or itemized deduction amount on line 12 of your 2023 Form 1040.

2023 STANDARD DEDUCTION AMOUNTS

SINGLE $13,850  (65 or older/legally blind + $1850)

MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY $13,850  (65 or older/legally blind + $1500)

MARRIED FILING JOINTLY $27,700  (65+/legally blind) )  + $1500 per spouse

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD  $20,800 (65 or older/blind)  + $1850)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies