Dependent

Dependent

Hi, I accidentally put on my tax return that someone could claim me, and that they would claim me. I am going to amend the return soon. My parents did not claim me. Are they going to get a notice that I filed as a dependent? Also am I still going to get the stimulus check since nobody claimed me.

Dependent

Your parents will probably not get a notice that you filed as a dependent that could be claimed on someone else's tax return.  

Once you have filed your amended return and your amended return is processed, you qualify for a stimulus payment. 

How will the stimulus package impact me?

@User1762419

Dependent

Hello, I am going to send out my amended tax return sometime soon. Since I have not done this yet, I have not received either stimulus check, $1200 or $600. When I file for the 2020 taxes, should I check the recovery rebate credit since I did not get it? The reason why I did not get it was because I accidentally filed as a dependent for 2019.  I know the IRS takes 16 weeks to finish the amended taxes. I’m scared that the timing will be off and if I check the recovery rebate they will think I’m lying and I get audited for 2020. What should I do? 

Dependent

Yes, you should file for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 income taxes. The advance stimulus payments were based on your 2019 tax return, but the  credit is based on your actual 2020 income tax return. Your amended return for 2019 will not affect this computation.

If you didn’t receive the first stimulus payment or the correct amount of stimulus payment, you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 taxes and it will provide the same amount of payment as the stimulus would have. TurboTax will guide you through this when you prepare your return.